WIlDWOOD

Last night, Chris and I walked the Town Lake trail to Book People to catch of glimpse of the brains behind Wildwood, the first book in a new fantasy series for middle school children. The Decemberists’ lead singer, Collin Meloy, dreamed this little tale in words and his wife, Carson Ellis, translated his story into drawings.  Last night, the two were speaking about the book and signing copies for those who stuck around. I caught my glimpse, listened as they explained the storyline, purchased my copy, and went on my merry way.

Illustration by Carson Ellis




Courtesy of Carson Ellis's website. Image from inside Wildwood


Illustration by Carson Ellis

This tale is by no means little. I went expecting a children’s book, with hopes to read short, two-lined pages to my future little ones while they sit on my knee. But this book is BIG, meant to stimulate a much older crowd. It won’t be another 15-20 years until my children will read this thing, and they sure as hell won’t be sitting on my knee. But after I heard the story, it sounds like a perfect book for me to read next. The story takes place in Portland’s Impassable Wilderness. No one has ever entered and returned to tell the tale. When Prue McKneel’s brother gets kidnapped by crows, she sets off on an adventure deep into the wild wood to find him. I think I’m going to join her this weekend.
 
My copy waiting for me at home